Opportunities at the British Ecological Society
We are seeking an outstanding ecologist to join the team of Editors of Functional Ecology. Full information and details of how to apply can be found here.
We are currently seeking nominations from our members to join our Council. There are 3 vacancies for Ordinary members of Council including 1 Early Career Representative at the start of their ecological career who can represent the views of that community. Please use the appropriate nomination form under ‘Useful Documentation’
Council fills a vital role in shaping the strategic direction of our Society and influencing how use our resources. Council is the board of trustees of the Society and, in addition to the responsibilities outlined in the Memorandum and Articles of Association, it is responsible for:
- Developing and delivering the vision, mission and strategic objectives of the organisation;
- Ensuring the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the organisation and for safeguarding its assets;
- Approving annual budgets of income and expenditure;
- Approving business plans of Committees and Working Groups;
- Approving new staff positions;
- Appointing and managing the Executive Director
- Ensuring that statutory documents are delivered to Companies House and Charity Commission within the stated deadlines;
- Ensuring that the organisation meets all its statutory obligations in relation to Health and Safety, and employment.
Council is ultimately responsible for all Society activities. There are 12 ordinary members of Council in addition to the Officers and each serves a term of 4 years. Ordinary members of Council also sit on 2 or 3 of the Executive Committees which oversee activity in areas like publications, policy and finance. Ordinary members of Council nominate themselves by a form (forms under ‘Useful Documentation’ below) which must be supported by 2 existing BES members. If there are more nominations than vacancies, there is an election at the Annual General Meeting held in December. The time commitment is 10 -15 days per year. The role does not have any remuneration but out of pocket expenses such as travel fares are reimbursed.
For further information, contact Hazel Norman, our Executive Director.