Darwin’s Coffee House
All six societies within Charles Darwin House are joining together to celebrate International Coffee Day 2017! Come along to our events as we explore the science behind our favourite pick me up...
Discussion Night: Science and the Future of Coffee
Thursday 28th September, 6.30pm – 9pm
You are invited to take part in the timely discussion of the future of coffee. Including a diverse group of coffee scientists, this unique event will showcase current areas of coffee research and demonstrate how science can help guide the future development and sustainability of the industry.
Speakers and research topics will include:
- How green is my coffee: Are sustainability standards a good guide to environmental benefits from coffee farms? Professor Jeremy Haggar, University of Greenwich
- Does a coffee a day keep the doctor at bay? Dr Charlotte Mills, Kings College London
- Never underestimate the power of coffee: Squeezing energy from coffee waste, Dr Claudio Avignone-Rossa, University of Surrey
After the talks there will be time for a Q&A session with the speakers and invited guests. A coffee themed drinks reception will follow.
For more information and tickets, use the link below.
Coffee Morning @ Darwin’s Coffee House
Friday 29th September, 10am – 3pm
Behind every cup of coffee is a world of science. Join scientists and coffee experts for a fun, free and interactive coffee morning at Darwin’s Coffee House. Take some time to drop by and learn everything you ever wanted to know about coffee and its journey from crop to cup.
This event will feature local researchers, cafes, and businesses, and it coincides with Macmillan Cancer Support‘s national coffee morning. So, come along and show your support!
- Free cup of coffee for every visitor
- A sneak preview of how coffee waste could be the biofuel of the future
- Explore the bugs, plants, and animals that put coffee on the menu
- A ‘super-tasting’ session exploring how genetics and coffee production affect our taste featuring Hopper Coffee
- Entrepreneurs Article Number 25 and Bio-Bean showcase their fascinating products
Our coffee morning is free to attend. Turn up on the day, or register your interest below.
Keep updated on all events using #DarwinsCoffee
For enquiries, email Jennifer.Freer@britishecologicalsociety.org