We provide funds of up to £1000, to members who want to undertake public engagement activities within the UK.
We want our members to to think creatively about their research and take part in activities that promote ecology to the wider public.
By providing funds of up to £1000 for activities that communicate ecology to public groups, we hope to remove one of the barriers preventing researchers from engaging diverse audiences with their science.
- Activities must be planned to take place within the UK
- Activities must be led by a member of the BES (find out how you can become a member here)
We also provide Outreach Grants of up to £2000 for activities that promote ecological science to public groups. Applications are open to non-members and for outreach activities worldwide. To find out more please visit our Outreach Grants page.
NERC Public Engagement pilot call
We are inviting applications for legacy funding of up to £1000 from those applying to the NERC call for funding. This legacy funding is designed to enable successful applications to deliver activities beyond the 31st March deadline set by NERC, and could for example be utilised to cover travel and subsistence costs associated with event delivery post March.
Legacy funding criteria:
- At least one person named on the application (not necessarily the PI) must be a BES member, or in the process of applying for BES membership
- The funds requested must be spent after 31 March 2017 but before 31 December 2017
- Applications should be submitted through our existing Regional funding application process. Please download and complete our Regional_PE_Funding_Application_2016
- Applications must be received no later than 12.30pm Thursday 20th October
- We will collate all applications for assessment by an independent panel
- Panel decisions will be made on the 25th October and applicants notified on the 26th October